Thursday, June 5, 2008

weight loss and exercise

As I was running this morning listening to my IPOD (okay...i know you are curious as to what the 52 year old doctor listens to on his IPOD....here goes: show music, James Taylor, Carol King, Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond...yeah, I said it..Neil Diamond....stop laughing!!!) I started thinking about a conversation I had with a patient yesterday when I asked her about exercise. The patient told me that she "walks alot at work".

W alking is great of course, BUT, a "good" exercise is getting your heart rate to about 75-80% of the maximum heart rate for age (220-yourage=maximum heart rate) and keeping it there for about 20-30 minutes. Unfortunately, for most people, walking at work maybe brings your heart rate to no greater than 90.

PLEASE try to find dedicated time for real exercise...setting aside 30-45 minutes 3-4 times a week to do dedicated exercise. Make it like a business appointment, meaning that you will keep your scheduled time/date as important as you would keep a business meeting. Find activities that are considered "fun" for you as opposed to a burden. Some people HATE treadmills....they will find every reason in the world then not to exercise if the treadmill is their only recouse.

Sorry for the late entry today..storms messsed up schedule..but..I did find the time to run and listen to Forever In Blue Jeans on my IPOD!

No comments: