Sunday, February 22, 2009

weight loss and exercise

Certainly a topic we have covered before, but I wanted to let people know of a new resource we have for our program.

Face it...for most people (including me) "exercise" is not fun. I run pretty much daily and DO NOT like it. During the weekdays when it is 0-dark-thirty and freezing outside, as I am running Tanner the dog on our usual 4.5 mile route, I am NOT enjoying it. When I play a tennis match, I do enjoy that, but on a daily basis, I cannot get a tennis game. If I am going to exercise, it will need to be a run or a machine such as a stairclimber or a treadmill. Reality: what feels better??? sleeping in, getting up for a nice breakfast or getting up and running? We all know the answer.

However, for a long term weight loss/maintenance strategy, exercise is a key component. The trick is to find an exercise that is NOT that negative for you (some people despise treadmills, so therefore this is NOT a good exercise to force yourself to do) and SCHEDULE your exercise as part of your weekly plans. But you MUST keep that appointment to exercise almost as you would treat an important business meeting.

We have a new arrangement with a trainer at The Washington Sports Club to see our patients initally for a FREE visit. Joanne will also be forming a monthly walking group for our patients and other events to help raise the consciousness of our Serotonin-Plus patients to the role of exercise and how it can be made "fun".

Please call us in about 1 week for the details.

On a non-weight loss note, I saw Slumdog Millionaire last nite. A very good picture but I do not think it will win Best Picture. (Having said that I also thought the stock market bottomed out with the Dow at 9000). Have a great Sunday!

No comments: