Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Keeping Focused

Your physician (me) has become quite militant in the last few weeks hounding people as to whether they are reading this blog. When I ask my patients, much less than 10% say they read this daily. I then pull the guilt thing on them by saying.."Hey...I am getting up 7 days a week to write this thing; shouldn't you take the time to read it (30 seconds or less)?"

Obviously the words you are reading are not earth-shattering revelations that will proel anyone putting their eyes on this to never gain a pound ever again. What I am trying to do is to whisper in your head daily things that may help you focus on your weight loss efforts. To gain weight? No focus needed...just do what is fun and follow old behavior patterns. To lose weight? CONSTANT vigilance, thinking, planning etc.

When you are in the formal program and see us weekly, you are paying money, we are talking weekly face to face, and your weigh-in produces a psychological accountability factor that helps you maintai focus. When you leave your formal visits, this all changes...now it is self-accountability and it is so easy to lose focus. I am trying to help people at least once a day think about their weight loss efforts because as soon as we stop thinking about it, we find ourselves right back into the old behavior patterns, and trust me, those behavior patterns aren't conducive for weight loss.

Obviously I am preaching to the choir, because you are reading these words today..but try to make this a daily meeting with me. The more you can keep thinking about your weight loss efforts, the more focused you will be, and success will be yours.

3 comments:

Susanne said...

We are now back into reading your blog daily after being away for over 2 weeks. Our lap top crashed after the first couple days and we had very limited access to a computer. Visiting relatives in a retirement village in Florida was not the most exciting place, but the weather was a little warmer than here and we weren't far from the beach. We were constantly offered food, sitting down to meals or out for the "early bird" specials. All this to make us welcome and happy? After many "no thank yous" or "I've had plenty", I think they got the idea. As we looked around and saw all these gray/white haired people playing shuffleboard and such we had to wonder what is to come. So, back to the cold and getting back into our own schedule. Weight was kept under control because as you know we travel with our scale!

Rick said...

Dr. Posner, while I have not been a patient for several months now, I still continue to read your blog every day and thank you for dedicating your time to write it. You messages are very encouraging and has helped me as I attempt to pursue my weight loss efforts on my own. I always look forward to your blogs and hope they keep on coming!!

Anonymous said...

I read you everyday! It has been become a morning ritual when I log on in the morning. Thank you for taking the time to help me stay motivated!