Thursday, July 8, 2010

weight loss and immediate gratification

First, thanks to "Anonymous" for the very nice comment....sometimes as I am making all of these typos while writing this every morning I sometimes wonder how many people are reading this and whether it is making a difference for some...the feedback, either positive or negative, obviously alerts me that there are people reading this and the positive ones compel me to continue...

Today I wanted to throw out there the concept of humans being an "immediate gratification" specie. I really believe this is very much built into our genome. The primordial behavior to seek things that provide an immediate gratification....a food source, a fun activity, sex etc. This is often tempered however by another part of the brain that makes us think of the ramifications of the immediate gratification behavior and sometimes that part of our brain stops or delays the behavior.

As this relates to weight control, this does have a great impact because to a large extent the consumption of high-caloric food sources provides an immediate gratification then followed by self-flagellation for allowing ourselves to have given in to the primordial eating behavior. How many times have you made three trips to a buffet, including the last trip for a dessert and say to yourself: "I am so full, I wasnt even hungry..why did I do that?"

As best you can, try to allow the intellectual part of your brain to take over and control the primordial part that compels us to eat way past the point of satiation or make us eat food sources that derail our weight loss efforts. Instinctual behaviors can be quite strong but they can be overcome.

No comments: