Tuesday, February 2, 2010

weight loss and support

It is very helpful to have lots of support along the way during your weight loss efforts. From family members to friends to co-workers, their support can be immensely helpful. Connversely, their actions can be derailing to your efforts. Have you been around any group of people at dinner and be implored to eat a high-caloric food source? "Oh come on, s small piece of cake can't hurt you..." "You look great right now, you dont have to lose anymore weight." These types of lines are all-too familiar and usually come from friends or elderly family members.

Sometimes your weight loss efforts initimidate other people, especially the ones in your world who are overweight. If a dessert tray comes to a dinner table and people around you are ordering desserts and you do not, then some guilt forms in the minds of those ordering. Guilt because your demonstration of control highlights their lack of the same. So if you are coerced to have a dessert, then everyone feels happier.

Support those around you in their weight loss efforts and do not be afraid to boldly state to anyone trying to derail your efforts that "it is important for me to lose weight and I would appreciate your help in my efforts." If you find that despite this plea, your "freinds" still persist in trying to derail your efforts, are they really your freinds?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,Doc, great posting! Today is my birthday, but my family knows how much the weight loss means to me. They do not want me to get diabetes or heart disease. They made me a taco salad and sugar free chocolate pudding for desert. I loved it! It is about the celebration, not the food.:) Thanks so much!