Tuesday, February 16, 2010

weight loss and exercise

One of the very important components of a long-term strategy for weight loss is an exercise program. For most people, including me, exercise does not feel good when you are doing it. When I play tennis, the competitive nature of that activity distracts me and I really do not feel that I am exercising. However, running on a treadmill is a different story...boring..knees hurting,..repetitive, UGH.

One of the neagative reinforcement cycles of being overweight is that it is more difficult to exercise. Trying to move around the exgra weight becomes more difficult and therefore the exercise undertaken becomes more arduous because it doesnt feel very easy or good. When 20, 30, 40 or more pounds are lost, it becomes much easier to exercise and therefore a person is not as loathe to do it.

No one in our clinic expects our patients to go out and start running marathons. However, a program may be started slowly and incorporated into your weekly activities. As weight is being lost, it will become easier to exercise and therefore perceived as less burdensome. But you must have a regular program...schedule it as if it was an important meeting....3-4 times a week and hopefully more. Also, try to find the activity that is least ill-perceived by you...some people hate treadmills....then perhaps an exercise bike or elliptical is better.

Attacking both ends of the equation....calories taken in/calories burning off...is important for long term weight control.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like so many previous patients are in a" lull." After the holidays I promised to get back on "track." Now that the blizzard of the century has hit I feel that I've gained even more weight. I was unable to get to the gym and cooked and baked more than I should have. I wanted to start back on the SP diet and was disappointed to find out that the weekly fees have increased quite a bit. During this tough economy I was wondering why the big increase in weekly fees? I could understand a small % increase. We still have to pay for our own prescription at the pharmacy and many insurance Cos. don't cover the weekly exam or prescription. Thanks for your comments.......

Unknown said...

Wonderful information about the weight loss and exercise. The solution to weight loss exercise program is customary exercise with diet management. The diet must be supposed to comprise lots of green vegetables and fruits which will give lots of vitamins and minerals.