Sunday, February 7, 2010

weight loss and the "give up" mentality

Most, if not all people who have experienced weight control problems have gone through the cycle of losing weight and then gaining it back. This cycle tends to be repeated over and over. This is the "usual", NOT the unusual. We, as human beings, are built and wired to gain weight readily as opposed to losing it. From the better taste of high-caloric foods, to reward systems, sto metaboism slow-down to the nature of social and cultural gatherings (wlcome Superbowl weekend) to human nature factors: all of these make us a weight gaining specie. When we mentally decide to go into a weight losing mode, we are fighting very strong instinctual forces.

At times, we develop a mental fatigue that prompts us to want to throw our hands up and say "I've had enough...I am giving up." The counting of portions, mentating through our eating patterns, the foregoing of eating the food sources we love and feel comfortable eating...all of these require great effort and as much as I tell people to try not to look at losing weight as punitive and sacrifice, it is often looked at that way.

Write down a list of all the things in your world that are the most important to you....spouse, children, grandchildren, friends, etc....your occupation and how you impact others in a positive way etc....write these things down and think how much you would miss them if God forbid something happened horribly medically to you. The loved ones you would miss and the things and people in life that define you. Keep this list available and if you ever feel the "give up" mindset concerning your weight loss efforts, take out this list and remember all the reaons why you are choosing to be healthier and happier. This may help returning to "the zone" and positively apporaching your weight loss efforts.

1 comment:

dcd said...

Hi Dr. Posner
I just stumbled onto your blog as I'm about to place a new order for the Serotonin Weight Management Formula. I've never blogged before so this is a first for me. Disappointedly, what's not a first for me is my weight gain of all the weight I lost while on your diet 3.5 years ago--over 40 lbs. I felt so great about myself (appearance, confidence, sexuality) but I let all that slip away. So I'm at it again and once again I'm really ready to change. But my perspective is different this time. I want to get to the root of why I can't stay thin; I feel my sugar cravings are mostly to blame for my weight gain. So it makes sense to me that l should significantly reduce sugar in my diet, however, I do not want to replace sugar with artificial sweeteners. And... I also don't want to sabotage myself by constantly thinking about/seeking out sweets because I've reduced my sugar intake. Do you have suggestions as to what I can do to reduce my sugar cravings--especially those after-meal cravings?

sincerely
--dcd