Wednesday, May 20, 2009

weight loss and restless leg syndrome

An article came out yesterday showing the association of being overweight with developing restless leg syndrome. For those of you not familiar with this syndrome, the affected person will notice, especially at night, movement of the lower extremities in a jerking type of fashion. This can sometimes take place at the dinner table and can be very embarrassing to the affected person. At nighttime, the patient's bed partner will be awakened by the leg jerking. There are medications such as Requip that are used for RLS but a number of side effects can occur.

We all know the "obvious" medical conditions associated with being overweight, i.e. heart disease, stroke, diabetes, etc., but there are a number of other conditions that will adversely affect quality of life, such as sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome. Also, do not forget that breast, colon, and pancreatic cancer rates are increased by being overweight.

Your choice to lose weight will make you healthier, prolong your life, and increase the quality of your life. Next time you are tempted with your favorite weight gaining food source, whether it be that bag of chips, the container of ice cream, popcorn, nightly glass of wine, ask yourself whether this "sweet, treat or goodie" (and you all know i DESPISE those words when attached to food) will make you healthier, prolong your life, etc. A true "treat" is something that will i fact make you healthier and thereby happier.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post Doc.,
Aas a long time sufferer of restless leg syndrome, and a new comer to the SP way of life, I anxiously await relief as I lose the "weight of my pain" and begin to gain the benefits associated with a heathier lifestyle. i have had RLS for about 5 years and it is not so much a jerking as an uncontolable urge to have to move or "squeeze" or bend my legs. It is so bad that I count the seconds in between the strong and painful; urges and at times I do not get past 2! I will be very glad to post on my relief of this painful condition and i do have to say that the medicine reqip, taken as directed, has helped significantly. However, there are times, usually during the daytime hours that I feel it starting and it is like a migrane, inasmuch as if i do not take the requip immediately, at the earliest twitch, i am doomed to hours, of suffering. As you can tell, I am not making this up, and I now carry requip with me at all times. most days it is under control and i take one requip, (1mg), at 5pm and then 2 (1mg)about an hour before bedtime. this seems to work for now,: yet I wait for the day when i will be able to move my legs, exercise properly and STOP taking requip! thanks and regards peggy