Tuesday, May 26, 2009

weight loss and excuses

" I traveled and the meetings all had pizza and sandwiches and chips....I couldn't find anything to eat"

"I had no time for exercise this week...work was too busy"

" I was with friends and everyone was drinking alcohol"

" I had no time to keep my food diary"

" I didn't have time to go out shopping for food"

" I was so busy at work I forgot to take my pills"....


On any given week in our program, when a patient has an "off" week, meaning that they do not lose or actually gain weight, these, amongst lots of others are the reasons that are provided. Quite frankly, these are all really good reasons as to why we can get off track. Once again, as we have discussed previously, as soon as we stop thinking about our weight loss efforts, we start going back to old behaviors and weight goes back on.

I implore you to write down all the reasons as to why you get sidetracked at times, and then on the same piece of paper, write down possible actions you can take to negate that challenge. As an example, if you are attending meetings where food is being provided, perhaps you can contat the person responsible for providing the food and request some choices that are compatible with your weight loss efforts.

Losing weight is not easy....gaining weight is. There are many excuses/reasons why we have difficulty, but try to rise above these challenges for long term success.

No comments: