Friday, April 17, 2009

weight loss....multidimensional approach

First, we have a GREAT weather weekend approaching, espeically Saturday so for those who like to do their exercise outside, you have a great opportunity.

Yesterday, the TV producer from WUSA (channel 9) interviewed me at the office and lots of the focus was on the serotonin supplement. I tried very hard to get the point across that a long term weight loss strategy needs to be multidimensional...yes, our serotonin supplement can help the process, but there is much more needed. Such things as planning meals and shopping for the food sources that you need to have available, incorporating exercise as part of the strategy, making a conscious decision to avoid alcohol and small repetitive food sources such as nuts, and other interventions. are all part of the weight loss process. I know that we would all love to have a "pill" that would make all of this planning and enactment of a strategy obsolete, but neither our serotonin pill or any other out there will substitute for the multidimensional approach needed for a long-term weight loss result. As I tell all of our patients coming into the program: The gaining of weight requires no thought or work behind it..do what the body tells you to do and do what is "fun". However, to lose weight requires lots of work and thought.

I want to thank Susan and Don for allowing the TV people to interview them. As I was watching them being filmed at the office, I was thinking about so many of you who have worked so hard at losing the weight and now look so much healthier and happier. I sometimes laugh when a PR person will ask me whether we have any "testimonials" for our program. We have thousands now and many have come in because of the kind referrals from our patients. It is incredibly fun for me to see my patients shedding weight, shedding medications they are taking and shedding negative self-perceptions. I want to thank you all for allowing the Serotonin-Plus staff and me the opportunity to be a part of your quest to be healthier and happier.

No comments: