Monday, April 20, 2009

weight loss and support

Last week I saw a patient who told me her week was difficult because she traveled home and her family weas putting out lots of food sources that were not conducive with her dietary strategy and hardly any foods that were compatible. I asked her if she had told her family prior to coming out that she was on a weight loss effort and she said "no". I asked why, and her reply was something to this effect: "I didn't want them to know that I was trying to lose weight because if I am not successful, they will look down on me as a failure because I have tried so many times before..."

I tried to convince her otherwise, meaning that a family that loves their relative will want that person as healthy as possible. Supporting their weight loss efforts would be the most likely response. The point here is you should not be embarrassed, ashamed or otherwise in any way "clandestine" about your efforts. Be very forthright in telling your family an d friends that you are very exciteed about losing weight and you would love their help in this quest. When travling to other people's homes, if they know you are on a weight loss effort, I would bet they would have some healthier choices at the dinner table for you. Your friends and family could be a hge support for you and a great resource. Do not hide your efforts..tell them! They wil be happy for your choice and will do their best to help.

No comments: