Friday, October 17, 2008

Last Day in Beantown

Yesterday I attended a conference in Boston called the Natural Products Expo. This is the second largest trade meeting of the natural products industry. This is a very large conference and many of the booths are from companies that sell dietary supplements, natural foods, etc.

As I was walking up and down the aisles of the display booths, it became apparent again to me yesterday how many companies sell "weight loss " supplements making it seem that just by taking their pill or powder, one is able to easily lose weight. At the booths, I would engage an employee of these companies and innocently ask questions (I did not identify myself as a physician who practices weight loss for fear of having them not do their usual shpiel) about how their "miraculous" product works. The explanations I received were often ridiculous from a scientific standpoint.

I know I have written this theme before, but it struck me so hard yesterday that I felt the need to bring this up again: To lose weight and keep the weight off, there is NO SUCH PILL ALONE THAT WILL MAKE THIS HAPPEN WITHOUT A LIFESTYLE CHANGE. Not our Sertonin-Plus, not the myriaqd of pills I saw being sold yesterday, not anything already on the market.

As you are all doing this effort, you of course realize that planning your meals, limiting your portions, reducing your carb intake, avoiding alcohol and snack foods...all of these aforementioned activities are not in a pill form. Supplements (of course our Serotonin-Plus is the VERY BEST!!!) can be an adjunct to these efforts, but stand alone, do not be duped into believing there is a magic pill out there. Yesterday I saw too many companies that made it seem this way.

No comments: