Friday, July 4, 2008

Fireworks, Beer and Carbs

Happy 4th! Truly a great Amercian holiday celebrating the birth of our nation! This week I was asking many of my patients what they are going to do on the 4th and almost 100% told me they would be attending a barbeque at either a family member's, friend's or neighbor's house. The menu at these events will most certainly include lots of protein choices: hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, steak, etc. Bowls of salads will be put out as well. But watch out, here are the other items that will be in front of you: chips, potato salad, buns, watermelon, high-caloric desserts, etc. Additionally, beer, wine and other alcohol drinks will be readily available.

Try to reconcile the ability to have a great time with food/beverage choices that will not completely blow your hard work in trying to lose weight. Separating a great social event from the foods accompaning that event is very difficult at times. When everyone around you is smiling lots from that third glass of wine or telling you how great that double chocolate cake tastes, it is hard not to feel compelled to join the crowd. Always ask yourself the question as to whether you feel "hunger" before getting a second helping or reaching for a dessert. Many of my patients tell me that if they get a small taste of a dessert this will be enough to satisfy their mental urge for something sweet.

Switching gears: I had a patient yesterday who came in after being on vacation for two weeks at Disney World and he lost 12.5 pounds while gone. Yes, LOST weight on vacation. I always tell my patients that staying even on vacation is a complete victory. I asked him his secret and he told me that the extra walking at the theme parks helped alot and also not eating any of the fried foods or snacks at those parks. I asked him whether "toeing the line" detracted from the fun of his vacation and he said absolutely not and he was very proud of himself for the weight loss.

Your doctor is going to play a tennis match on clay today (I despise that surface...like hard courts better), then write some more in his upcoming weight loss book, then to a barbeque with fireworks. I hope your day is wonderful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is great. I don't know about others but I have sometimes found that being on vacation gives me the energy and sense of peace I need to jumpstart my weight loss. But I've never done that at DISNEY -- wow, I'm impressed!