Sunday, July 27, 2008

Find the Exercise that is Fun!

For most people, thoughts of setting the alarm early, going to the gym or your rec room and getting on a treadmill is abhorrent. Boring, monotonous, painful at times...these are the mental machinations we go through when thinking about an exercise that we do not like to do. As a matter of fact we will think of lots of reasons why our day i so busy, that we cannot possibly fit in that exercise time. Concerning our weight loss efforts, we do know that exercise is an important component. However, when we find things not fun, we will think of lots of reasons to avoid that activity.

Last night at our fund raiser for Hospice, I noticed lots of people dancing the night away...lots of movement, lots of activity, lots of sweat pouring off people's brows. I also saw lots of shirts (including mine) soaked through. But, everyone dancing seemed to be smiling lots...having much fun doing this activity that was burning lots of calories. I started thinking to myself that everyone out there dancing was not thinking that they were "exercising". Rather, they were just having a really good time.

Personally, when I play tennis I similarly do not feel that I am exercising. I am into the competition, enjoying the match and at the end of 90 minutes of singles I am as soaked as if I just ran 5 miles. But, unlike my 5 mile runs where I am moaning and along the way, during tennis I just do not count the minutes until it is over.

The point here is that each of us should identify those activities that we enjoy as opposed to a dreaded aerobic activity that we despise. The reason is that we will constantly come up with excuses to avoid the latter and find the time to do the former. We are all different and what one person may find a very fun activity, another will find boringly painful.

By the way, your good Doctor will most certainly NOT win any Dancing with the Doctors reality shows...everyone who witnessed me dance told me to stick to my day job.

No comments: