Thursday, May 15, 2008

Weight Loss Jealous Sabotage?

We see patients frequently that tell us that their friends are trying to detract them from their weight loss efforts purposefully. That is when they go out with certain friends they are always trying to get them to eat foods or drink alcohol that would clearly hinder weight loss efforts. "Come on...a little piece of cake can't hurt you." "You are not fun anymore!"

Attempts on the part of someone trying to lose weight does often threaten others around them who also need to lose weight, but show little effort. I believe that subconsciously, the overweight person who is not showing control is made to feel even more of a "failure" by watching someone around them take a proactive stance. The efforts of his/her weight-losing friend are admired, yet somehow jealousy and a possible hidden hope of failure takes place. Hey, if everyone in the group is eating cheesecake for dessert, it must be okay, right? But, if one or several people in the group take a pass on dessert, those that are eating it do not have as much fun doing so.

I do not think that sabotage is truly intentional, but nevertheless, it certainly can make your weight loss efforts more difficult. Be firm with your friends who try to push things of high caloric content on you. Have a taste if you must but stop there. Tell them that you are trying to lose weight and you would love their help.

2 comments:

AusiGal said...

I'm a little concerned about this blog. I believe the comments are useful but the fact that the woman was 60 doesn't seem relavent. If I was this woman I'd be a little upset. Weight loss is personal and a sensitive subject for some of us. I'm not a big fan of Blogs and now my weightloss center has on. AUGH!! Please be considerate as to how much is shared. Thank you AusiGal

....day by day...... said...

I feel this blog is an excellent method of support for those of us on this journey through life. It is always a positive thing to find a site on the Internet where people can exchange ideas and offer encouragement while on the road to a healthier lifestyle; like yourself.

I agree that weight loss is personal and sensitive; but to realize there is a source available with the information or inspiration you need - at least to me, seems an invaluable asset.

I can't recall where I heard this but would this "friend" or co-worker offer you an addictive drug or other illegal substance that you are trying to get control of - the answer is hopefully, no.

I look forward to reading this blog and hopefully the comments of those who are traveling this same road in life.