Saturday, May 31, 2008

"I Will work it off the next day"

Patients often tell me that they tell themselves if they eat lots of high caloric foods on night they will "work it off the next day". I tell them to be very careful because it is not an equal tradeoff. What do I mean by this? Well..here is an example....i run 5 miles in the morning and my treadmill tells me I have worked off 640 calories...yeas for the old guy Posner! BUT...the other day i was eating at the office some (please dont laugh) girlscout cookies and within 45 seconds ate 300 calories...almost half of what it took me 46 MINUTES to burn off earlier that day. Point being: you can consume lots of calories quickly but it takes long periods of time to burn off those calories.

Think in terms, before you eat a really high caloric food source about how many miles you need to run, treadmill, bicycle etc to burn off the calories that you are about ready to eat...perhaps you mmay think twice about that 800 calorie ice cream sundae and the 1 hour you will need to run to burn this off!

No comments: