Sunday, May 25, 2008

Distracted eating

I was at the movie theatre last night watching the new Indiana Jones picture. Sometimes I cannot help but observe people's behavioral patterns as that relates to eating at the movies. On all sides of me, there were people eating from these large containers of popcorn...non-stop! Hand to mouth...hand to mouth...almost like a ritualistic behavioral pattern.

Here is the issue: Distracted eating...when our attention is on something else, and in this case it is a thrilling movie, we are not paying attention to appetite signals or eating control modulators. To soothe our angst and heart-pounding thrills, we tend to reach repeatedly for small, repetitive food sources. By the time the movie is over, we see that the entire container of popcorn is gone.

Whether it be working at your desk, sitting at the movies or another scenario, do not put yourself in a distracted eating mode.

By the way, if my opinion counts (and there truly is no reason why it should because I am a doctor, not a movie reviewer) I give the movie only 2 stethoscopes up...Raiders was MUCH better.

No comments: