Friday, September 26, 2008

weight loss and antiaging

Yesterday I received an invitation to speak at a meeting of the Anti-Aging Society in December. The conference is taking place in Las Vegas. I have been asked to speak about the usage of oral serotonin as part of a weight loss program. My first thought was this: Antiaging in Vegas? Booze, blackjack, staying up the entire night eating, drinking and gambling...this is a really good venue for anti-aging! No, just teasing...my first real thought was: Will I hit my 16 against the dealers 10, or should I take adventure of the surrender option they have in Vegas?

Okay, let me get serious now: my first thoughts were about the association of weight with the aging process. With excessive weight leading to the early development of diabetes, heart disease, fatty liver, sleep apnea, certain cancers and other serious conditions, clearly a detrimental weight results in more rapid "aging" process. Aesthetically, being overweight results in a person looking older than the chronological age.

At this conference, I am certain there will sellers of skin care creams, supplements of dubious merit, spa treatment machines that result in a more youthful appearance, etc. However, weight loss, probably more than anything else offered at this gathering is probably the most powerful "anti-aging" procedure/intervention that a person can do.

No comments: