Monday, September 29, 2008

The Sertortonin Plus Burke Lake Walk

Well, the sun did start coming out, the trail was not that muddy and about 7 of us did the 4.68 miles. For those of you who were thinking about coming but the weather held you off, please mark your calender for the third Sunday of every month at 9am Burke Lake Park....as the weather gets colder just check the blog or my office phone number about weather the walk is still on. Next walk: Sunday October 19 9am.

We actually bumped into a very nice woman who was at the park to meet with a walking group (not ours) and by mistake she wandered over to our group. We engaged her in conversation and she wound up walking with us. She was telling me about her recent cessation of cigarette smoking, and during the walk, I accompanied her in the back of the pack becasue her pace was limited due to the smoing and weight issue. At the very front of our group was a woman who has lost well over 100 pounds with our program. It was amazing to see just how much energy she had and the very fast pace she was able to do. As I was walking with the new woman, I was reassuring her that the smoking cessation and the weight loss will result in her having the same stamina/energy/endurance as the person who led our group and outpaced everyone else. As a physician, I was able to see in front of my eyes the "before" and "after" of just how weight issues affect exercise abilities.

Anyway, for those of you who did not come to the park, i sincerely hope that you did exercise yesterday at home! Remember....NO EXCUSES for not exercising regularly!!!

1 comment:

Susanne said...

As one of the "senior" members of the walking group, I was really proud to keep up with the two young ladies at the front of the pack. I lasted until the last mile when I did have to drop back to join the other senior member who I know really well. It was fun even though I have some sore muscles this morning! Also enjoyed all the "catter" and learning more about everyone. Looking forward to the next walk and hope to meet more "losers"!